Sutter Buttes


The last two paintings I did were very dramatic with intense subject matter,  so I thought I would try a calm, peaceful landscape. I'm using a photo my wife took from our back door. 

As always, I began by sketching the scene. It was nice to step outside and sketch from direct observation rather than a photograph only. I then began with an underpainting. I chose the colors I want to "peek through" the layers I paint over top. Colors, or even values are not my biggest priority for this layer. I want it to convey a feeling of peace and serenity. If I can convey that on this first layer, it will influence the other layers as I paint. 

The next layer was a fairly expressive representation of the scene. I tried to "infuse" the piece with calm, peace, and serenity. Expressive brushstrokes don't tend to look peaceful, so that was a big challenge. I think I was fairly successful at keeping the painting calm.  I will attempt to calm the painting down more with the third, and hopefully final layer. 

One more layer is all it needed. I just tried to make the brushstrokes and values more varied in the foreground, and make the mountains and sky in the background hazier. I think I succeeded on both counts. I am proud of this piece, titled "Sutter Buttes from Butte Valley. "

Comments