Tessellations
I decided to break away from subject matter for a while and explore the realm of abstract. I designed a tessellation pattern that has repeating shapes that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
My high school geometry class is where I learned about tessellations. As I understand, they have been used in art since ancient Babylon, but were introduced to the modern art world by M.C. Escher. Designing them is challenging and fun.
The repeating shape in this one suggests an angel to me. It seems to me like hundreds of angels, joined in hands, like a blanket across the canvas, without any holes. The piece is a collaboration with my buddy, Tom. He helped with the design and painting. We are happy to sign this one, titled “Holistic Host”.
I designed this tessellation differently. It's pattern uses hexagons, similar to a honeycomb. I tried to infuse the painting with feelings of protection and teamwork as we worked. My three- year- old daughter painted an underpainting to start the painting, so my layers of paint cover over hers to protect them. Another collaboration with Tom, we titled this one “Guard and Protect”.
I designed this tessellation, and decided each unit could resemble an elephant. I didn't want it to be a very accurate representation, but wanted it to be easily and quickly recognized as an elephant.
As i worked, the painting seemed to have the feel of an unstoppable army advancing. I tried to bring up feelings of confidence and endurance as i painted to reinforce that. I painted each elephant face completely before moving on to the next so that each would retain some "individuality". I'm happy with the somewhat realistic representation of elephant faces. This one is titled "Trenchant Tribe.
The repeating shape in this tessellation seemed to resemble a cartoonish human face. I wanted the painting to suggest a crowd or audience being entertained by a show. Amused. This one is titled Jolly Assembly.
Comments
Post a Comment