Refined Expectation, 2025, acrylic
I created a non-representational or abstract piece yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it. It's nothing special, but it's interesting enough. It has basically one layer of paint.
I will give it a second layer. What I won't do is just paint another “good” abstract painting on top of another. That approach has yielded me some rather weak results in the past. My plan is to use the first layer to guide me as I basically copy the same basic shapes and lines, the lights and darks, on top of what is already there.
Instead of creating something new, I will try to do the same painting again, but better.Some of the first layer will be reinforced and enhanced. Other parts will be corrected or altered with different brush strokes or slight color changes. The important thing for me now is to paint the ENTIRE painting again, and resist the temptation to just leave parts alone.
First layer. It should be a somewhat interesting painting without taking it any further.
Second layer. Better than the first alone I think.
The contrasts are stark, with more deliberate details. I use a free association exercise to come up with titles. This one is called "Refined Expectation".
I used the same 2 layer approach to this piece which I entitled "Reexamine." There seems to be a bust- like form peeking it's way into the foreground. I combined warm colors with lots of very dark shapes and lines, which typically leads me to a very muddy painting that is dull. I think a layered approach allowed me to reinforce colors to make some more vibrant. I might go over this one with a third layer for a little polishing and to adjust the composition in spots.



Comments
Post a Comment